As our 70th anniversary year comes to a close and we celebrate
this holiday season, we turn back the clock for a nostalgic look at the holiday season and celebrations from seven decades ago. Happy Holidays from McAfee & Taft!
Images courtesy of the Daily Oklahoman and Oklahoma Historical Society, in order of appearance in the video: (1) Photo of woman decorating a tree, published in the Daily Oklahoman on September 11, 1954. (2) Like mountain climbers scaling the Alps, firemen and volunteer workers climb a ladder to decorate the giant red cedar “Tree of Lights” which will glow over the downtown shopping scene during the Christmas season. (3) Daytime photo of Downtown Oklahoma City decorated for Christmas. (4) Nighttime photo of Downtown Oklahoma City decorated for Christmas. (5) Gusty winds blew Santa Claus into Oklahoma City Friday morning to open the Christmas shopping season, and thousands of children lined his parade route. (6) Heralding the Christmas season, Santa Claus has arrived in Oklahoma City to find out what Oklahoma youngsters want for gifts. (7) This is just a preview of what 800 grade school children will be seeing Saturday, December 18, 1954, at the Mayor’s annual Christmas party in Municipal Auditorium. (8) Photo of “Tree of Lights,” Oklahoma City’s first community Christmas tree, was lighted for the first time. (9) Santa Claus ushered in the Christmas season with a parade through the town. (10) War veterans in veterans administration hospitals in Oklahoma will not be without Christmas presents. (11) Children practicing for a church Christmas program. (12) Reindeer, sleighs, elves, Santas, wreaths, candy canes, glistening ornaments, ribbons and bows and miles and miles of colored lights put the Christmas touch to homes in all parts of Oklahoma City. (13) These clever Christmas fireplace stockings were made by Mrs. Black for her grandchildren. (14) Vernie Smith, shown here with his mother, is enjoying his Christmas presents early. (15) The papa of all Christmas trees-claimed to be the biggest west of the Mississippi river-towers in the lobby of the First National Bank.