Go to mcafeetaft.com

History Briefs

Livin’ on Tulsa Time

From the founding of McAfee & Taft in 1952 to early 2008, the firm grew from two lawyers to more than 130 lawyers, all while maintaining just one office in Oklahoma City. That all changed on the 50th anniversary of National Law Day — May 1, 2008 — when the firm opened a Tulsa office and added eight experienced attorneys to its ranks.  Within a month, the firm grew again.

And that was just the start.  

From 2008 to 2011 alone, McAfee & Taft’s Tulsa office would expand rapidly through a series of targeted acquisitions of high-profile, established talent from other law firms — including mergers with the law firm of Joyce & Paul, PLLC in 2009 and with the boutique litigation firm of Eldridge, Cooper, Steichen & Leach, PLLC in 2011 — that would not only add to firm’s depth of talent, but also to its reach, niche expertise, and breadth of service offerings.   

Steady growth over the ensuing years, fueled by the recruitment of a mix of both young, bright associates and established lawyers with thriving practices, would result in the need for more office and conference room space. In 2010, the firm moved from its original location on the fifth floor of the ONEOK Building in downtown Tulsa to the top three floors of the MAPCO Building at 1717 S. Boulder. Six years later, in 2016, the office and its growing roster of attorneys and professional staff moved once again — this time to its current location in the Williams Center Tower II building, which anchors the southeast corner of Second Street & S. Boulder in downtown Tulsa.  

In 2021, McAfee & Taft further expanded its Tulsa office location in the Williams Center Tower II to occupy all space on both the 11th and 12th floors of the building.